If you plan to setup a small private Photo Cloud Server and you try to setup “Seafile Community Edition” there are some MAJOR Points (disadvantages) to know:
- Seafile Community Edition has limited Functions (5 Users)
- The Photo Files saved on “Data Blocks Files” like on “IPFS” with hash Keys as Names
- You need a MYSQL Database, MAJOR if broken by Updates all Photos lost!
- Seafile is based on Python Framework Software if any SPECIAL needed Python-Module is broken by a Update your Photos lost!
- I have tested many Setups, the big OS-RELEASE Changes often a big Trap cause broken Dependencies to the Python Modules!! Especially on Small Setups (ARM-CPU / Raspi / Odroid)
- On a broken Seafile Setup (Webinterfaces broken / Login broken) there is ONLY the Export way by enable the WEBDAV API and mount it by linux command line “mount -o davfs http://localhost:8080/ /restore”
- Backups should be made as FULL System / Container Backups! You need SQL/Python/Seafile in correct deps.
- Seafile Setup Script NEVER display Python-Version-Checks/Errors/failed Python Modules Deps! The Seafile Handbook is nonsense there no BASIC Information which Seafile Version like “9” need this python module in Version “XX” !! a NOGO!
Sample of Data-Path (where Photos stored as non-jpg):
I switched back to nextcloud, cause you have DIRECT ACCESS to the USER DATA Photo Path and you NEVER NEED SQL to Emergency Restore / View the Photos after a broken OS System Update, Photos are stored in their Image Name from Cameras. (IMG_123.jpg , P1234..jpg)
Nextcloud is slower cause the PHP Backend, but you never lose Access to the Data!
I prefer my KIS – RULE = “Keep It Simple”